Saturday 19 February 2011

My Colombia

Just in case you didn't know... I really love this place

 It is hard to put into words what it is that has endeared this country to my heart.  So instead I will share some pictures of my first few days...

The Stuff -
    I love to shop, and to be able to go and buy stuff as gifts for the different organizations in Colombia is SO much fun - in fact, it is much more fun than buying for myself because I know how much good it will do for these people with so little.  A box of crayons, a rolling pin and a stack of construction paper seems like peanuts to us, but so precious to these.



First Impressions -
   I remember well the first time I came to Colombia and landed at this very door of our home for 10 days, only to find ourselves locked out.  We were a little freaked out to say the least.  Well, this year, we were back at this guest house and ... yup - were locked out.  This time the panic was not as severe - at least in me, but I did enjoy the "deer in the headlights" looks on the faces of others.


Familiar faces -
    To see the smiling faces of those that have become good friends over the last 4 years is such an amazing feeling.  Evencio has been our driver for the past 3 years, but unfortunately wasn't able to do it this year. I was so glad to at least be able to see him.





Little faces -
   Looking into the eyes of these sweet ones, is bitter sweet.  I can't help but fall in love with these kids and even consider the notion of smuggling one of them home in my suitcase.  They have a hard time understanding why you can't talk to them, but eventually they rely on the universal language of love and all is good.


The food -
    This is from one of the coolest restaurants in the world - La Mazorca - an outdoor barbeque restaurant that serves up grilled...beef, chicken, corn, non-descript meat stuffed in pig intestines, arepas, fresh salsa and guacamole.  So good - well, except for the pig intestine part...



My new house -
   Last year I saw this sign on this house down in the valley below La Mazorca and I told Dan we should buy it.  Well, it's still for sale!!  It's a sign I tell you!  I think it would be great to live here in the winter and just have some of our Colombian friends stay here the rest of the year to look after it!  After I win the lottery of course...




This is my Colombia.

No comments: